YOUNGSTOWN (CBS) - Kiarra Jackson will never hear another firecracker without thinking about what happened Friday night to her baby girl, CBS affiliate WKBN reports.
Jackson describes how a firework came in through window and injured her baby.
"It shot from here through here. up there. it hit that window. went right in her rock and play," said Jackson.
Four-month-old Au'Bre McCormick is in critical condition after her mom says a neighbor kicked over a firecracker causing it to go onto her front porch and catching little Au'Bre on fire.
"I'm holding her as she's in flames. And I'm running to the scene. I put her out. I told him go start the car," said Jackson.
Au'Bre's grandmother Carol was right beside her when it happened.
"It just was poof when the firework went off in her little bed," said the grandmother.
She picked it up to get it away from Au'Bre, and it exploded in her hands.
"I wish it would've been me instead of her. Because I lived my life. I got my children raised. She didn't deserve it," Carol said. "Why her? An innocent four month old baby. Why her? Why couldn't it have been me or one of them? Why her?"
Au'Bre is in the burn unit at Akron Children's Hospital. She's in critical condition, awaiting skin grafts from her legs to her face.
And everyone here is wishing something would have happened differently.
"I would've laid on top of it if I would have known it was going to her," said Jackson.
Carol and Jackson want other people to learn that fireworks are not toys.
"There's too many house fires from them. There's too many children getting hurt from them," said Carol.
"Fireworks should not be for kids. They should not be lit off around kids. I don't want any fireworks anywhere," said Jackson.
All prayers are for Au'Bre to make a full recovery.
"I hope and pray she's okay and God needs to just let her be okay so she can heal," said Carol.
"She's going to need all the prayers. I need everyone to pray for her," said Jackson.