Denver, Colo. – Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba Pongi jumped to his death from a hotel balcony after eating a marijuana-laced cookie. Denver police are also investigating the murder of Kristine Kirk, who was allegedly shot by her husband after she told a 911 operator he had eaten marijuana candy and maybe taken painkillers.
The state of Colorado says 10 milligrams of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, is all one should take in an edible... but with a hidden camera, CBS NEWS visited several marijuana dispensaries and found customers are sometimes being told to take far more.
At one marijuana center, a chocolate mint bar infused with 100 mg of THC was purchased; the normal dose is a tenth of that, but the sales person suggested much more.
CBS NEWS showed the video to Dr. Tista Ghosh of the Colorado State Health Department. The seller of the 100 mg chocolate bar suggests eating a third or more of it in one sitting. "For me personally to feel like, pretty high, I take like 50 (mg)."
"The recommended limit the state has placed on a serving is now 10 milligrams," Dr. Ghosh says. "So a quarter of that would be definitely be more than the recommended serving."
She says that for marijuana edibles, it's a case of buyer beware.