Sarasota, Florida -- 10 News has confirmed that two people have contracted flesh eating bacteria in Sarasota County in the last month. One victim has died.
The Sarasota County Department of Health says both victims were middle age and had compromising medical conditions. Both are believed to have gotten the infection through open wounds on their bodies.
Now, health officials want to make sure everyone's being safe before they decide to head in the water.
10 News has confirmed that two people have contracted flesh eating bacteria in Sarasota County. One victim has died.
"We were off the boat and unloading and I guess I scraped my foot on a part of wood," says 13-year-old Jacob Ahlers, who lives in Bradenton.
Jacob says it was just another day in the water two weeks ago when he was scalloping up in Homosassa,
"I got a splinter. It really hurt."
But that was nothing compared to the pain he'd experience hours after he got home.
"We got home Saturday night and cleaned the wound with some peroxide, put some Neosporin on it.
"The next morning. The foot was completely swollen and red hot to touch," says Jacob's mom, Donna Ahlers.
His foot nearly tripled in size.
"We got test results yesterday that it was vibrio," says Ahlers. " [We] had never heard of it -- ever," says Ahlers.
Vibrio vulnificus -- the bacteria that can lead to the "flesh eating" condition also known as "necrotizing fasciitis" -- live in warm, salty waters. While infections are rare, health officials say individuals should take precautions.
VIDEO: Flesh-eating bacteria explained
Dr. Robert Bradsheir, the Director of Division of Infectious Diseases at UAMS, explains what flesh eating bacteria are, how they can be contracted, and how they can be prevented.
Michael Drennon, an epidemiologist with the Sarasota County Health Department, says anyone though with an open wound should think twice before heading into warm salt water.
Infections in people with those types of conditions have a 50 percent fatality rate.
When it infects the skin via open wounds, Vibrio vulnificus can cause skin breakdown and ulcers. Ingestion of the bacteria can trigger vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
People with weakened immune systems, especially those with chronic liver disease, are the most at risk when they eat raw shellfish, especially oysters, health officials said, because oysters filter the bacteria from the water. Eating a single contaminated oyster can kill.
States in the Gulf Coast region average about 50 cases, 45 hospitalizations and 16 deaths annually, according to the Florida Department of Health. Most of the cases are in Florida, which has averaged about 27 cases annually over the past five years.
A total of 41 cases of Vibrio vulnificus were reported statewide in 2014, and there have been at least 11 cases and several deaths due to the infection of an open wound or from consuming raw shellfish.
The bacteria rarely cause serious disease, and as a result is underreported, according to the CDC. Illness usually begins within one to three days of exposure, but up to a week later for a small percentage of cases. Symptoms include fever, swelling and redness of skin on arms or legs, with blood-tinged blisters, low blood pressure and shock.
Related Story: Woman infected with flesh-eating bacteria gets bionic hands
Even an ant bite or any tiny wound can allow an entry point for the bacteria.
Vibrio vulnificus belongs to the same family of bacterium as those that cause cholera. It inhabits warm, salty water and is part of a group of bacteria called "halophilic" because they require salt.
It dies at salt levels typical of the ocean but thrives at lower to moderate salt concentrations, such as those found in the lagoon.
If you are diagnosed with the bacteria, you will be prescribed an antibiotic, which Jacob is on now and his foot has gotten back to it's normal size.
PHOTOS: Georgia woman survives flesh-eating bacteria, gets bionic hands
- Do not eat raw oysters or other raw shellfish.
- Cook shellfish (oysters, clams, mussels) thoroughly.
- For shellfish in the shell, either a) boil until the shells open and continue boiling for 5 more minutes, or b) steam until the shells open and then continue cooking for 9 more minutes. Do not eat those shellfish that do not open during cooking. Boil shucked oysters at least 3 minutes, or fry them in oil at least 10 minutes at 375°F.
- Avoid cross-contamination of cooked seafood and other foods with raw seafood and juices from raw seafood.
- Eat shellfish promptly after cooking and refrigerate leftovers.
- Avoid exposure of open wounds or broken skin to warm salt or brackish water, or to raw shellfish harvested from such waters.
- Wear protective clothing (e.g., gloves) when handling raw shellfish.
Florida Today contributed to this report.