St. Petersburg, Florida -- At the Franklin Correctional Institution in the small rural town of Carrabelle, Florida, Pinellas Commissioner Norm Roche is meeting with inmate Michael Morgan for the second time this year.

Upon leaving the prison Roche said, "I was overwhelmed with the feeling I had just spent two hours with an innocent man."

The Commissioner says he was overcome with emotion and had to pull over after his first meeting with Morgan, who is serving three life sentences in prison for attempted murder and attempted sexual assault.

As we sat with Morgan in a conference room at the prison he told us, "It's not just the fact I did not commit this crime, it's the rape." According to Morgan, "That's the worst... the worst thing you could accuse anybody of, especially when you didn't do it."

In fact, Morgan refused a plea deal that would have released him from prison years ago and avoided the life sentences. But he would have had to admit to the attempted rape, something he could not do.

"I wanted to look him in the eye and find it out," said Commissioner Roche. "And I'm still in that firm belief this case needs to be looked at again."

See Also: Man serving life sentence may be innocent.

Adding to Roche's belief is the fact there was also no physical evidence: no DNA, no fingerprints, Morgan had an alibi, and the victim's initial description didn't match Morgan.

There were three trials: the first ended in a hung jury and mistrial, and the judge was forced to recuse himself because of remarks he made. Morgan was convicted in a second trial, but the verdict was overturned, because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Morgan was finally convicted 18 years ago in the third trial, and Keith Bentley was on that jury that convicted him.

Eighteen years later and Bentley says, "Our system is built on justice, and I've learned it's not always just."

After learning some of the facts that were never presented during the trial, Bentley says he regrets his decision to convict. According to Bentley, "There is reasonable doubt. This is beyond reasonable doubt."

However during the trial, Bentley says the jury believed the victim, Felicia Fuller, was able to identify the man who she thought was her attacker.

"And I couldn't imagine somebody being so positive of something like that," Bentley told us, "But also, being so wrong about that."

A Bay area man is currently serving three life sentences in prison, and claims he is innocent. With no DNA evidence, it was only an eyewitness description that convicted him.

Fuller and the prosecutor, Richard Ripplinger, remain 100 percent convinced that the jury got it right and that Michael Morgan was guilty because of the eyewitness identification, even though Fuller's initial description of her assailant didn't match Morgan.

Eyewitness mis-identification is responsible for more than 72 percent of the wrongful convictions in this country.

Jennifer Thompson knows that first-hand, as she explains looking at a photo line up.

"With six photographs, I was able to pick out the suspect and then that led to a physical lineup, where once again I was able to pick him out."

Thirty years ago, Thompson -- who now works with the Innocence Project -- identified Ronald Cotton as the man who she believed raped her. However, 11 years into Cotton's life sentence, DNA proved that man was actually innocent.

"And to now to find out I had been wrong," Thompson says was devastating and turned her world and everything she believed upside down. She adds, "We would have had an innocent man locked up for the rest of his life if that DNA hadn't survived."

Thompson has not only met with the man she falsely accused since he was exonerated, but she also became best friends with him. Together they wrote a book, "Picking Cotton" and they do speaking engagements throughout the country about wrongful eyewitness testimony.

But in Morgan's case, the police never tested for DNA, despite the fact the victim, who is a convicted drug dealer and daughter of a St. Petersburg police officer, maintained that rock cocaine found at the scene wasn't hers. Fuller claimed it dropped from a baggie in the pants of her attacker when he unzipped his pants. She also said her attacker opened up a condom with his teeth, and police reports say the attacker rummaged through several items in the house, before the attack.

All of those items might have provided DNA evidence that also might have substantiated Morgan's claim he was innocent.

And in Commissioner Norm Roche's eyes, "The only thing more dangerous or sad than a guilty man running the streets is an innocent man sitting in jail."

That is exactly what Michael Morgan says he is. "So I had nothing but my word. My word against hers, and they believed her and not me."

The victim, Felicia Fuller, didn't want to appear on camera but she told me she was certain of her eyewitness identification and would never forget the face of her attacker.

When I asked why her initial description described her attacker as clean shaven, and police confirmed Michael Morgan had moustache and goatee for at least a year and half, Fuller had nothing to say.

It looks like the Governor is the only hope to correct what many are saying is the wrongful conviction of Michael Morgan.

PETITION: If you would like to help support Michael Morgan's pardon request, you can sign the petition asking the Florida Clemency Board to consider his request.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1shQI2r