Tampa, Florida -- No one expected such a grisly discovery at a popular South Tampa church.

The body of a 73-year-old homeless man, Rolando Rivera Arroyo, was found stabbed to death and run over multiple times in front of Christ the King early Thursday morning.

Arroyo spent his life bound to a wheelchair, which was found nearby.

It was a crime so heinous that Arroyo's body was discovered underneath the car. It was lodged in place, stuck in the undercarriage after the killer ran over the man multiple times.

The question that everyone seems to be asking is how could such a grisly crime happen in such a holy place?

Arroyo spent his days homeless along Dale Mabry, being fed by kind samaritans at a local Pizza Hut. He'd sleep in an alcove across the street from Lowe's.

And, on occasion, he'd pass the time at Christ the King. Even veteran officers are surprised by the brutality of this crime. They are hoping he didn't suffer.

Officer Irene Thomas told 10 News, "We hope he died on impact. We hope he was not alive for any time under that car."

Police say the killer is a 33-year-old man named Michael Marston. Marston is a well-known Publix employee who works in the deli at Britton Plaza. People were shocked to hear that he was arrested for murder. Publix refused to comment on the case.

The question remains - how did a 73-year-old homeless man cross paths with a deli worker from a nearby Publix?

Marston was found not too far from Christ the King early Thursday morning. He was reportedly naked at the time, wandering around,bleeding from his hand.

A police officer found him and got him help at TGH. When she asked where his car was, she found it. She also found the body underneath the car. Marston was arrested and became violent, cops say, refusing to cooperate.

His wife refused to speak with us today at their South Tampa apartment on DeLeon Street.

She told 10 News, "No comments, no comments. I don't want to talk about this."

Michael Marston and his wife, Ruby were seemingly the perfect couple, friends say.

They worked out together, they had parties and socialized with everyone. However, when they began having marital problems,friends say, Michael just snapped.

Rose Flynn, a good friend of the couple, saw him the night of the murder. She said he looked sad and distant.

"It shocks the heck out of me really. The only thing I can say, he must have had a nervous breakdown because he was an outgoing guy."

So, how did the two men end up in the same parking lot that fateful morning at Christ the King around 4 a.m.?

Neighbors tell us that Marston's wife had a restraining order against him and that he stole some items from their apartment.

When Marston allegedly tried to dump those items at Christ the King, sources say, that's when he met up with Rolando Rivera Arroyo. No one knows the reason behind what happened next and it's quite possible, they never will.

Marston, police say, is refusing to cooperate. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Saturday morning. He does not have a criminal record.

Meanwhile, police are hoping to find any family members of Rolando Rivera Arroyo. He had a minor theft charge from 12 years ago.

The pastor at Christ the King was out of town on Friday and could not be reached for comment.

Read or Share this story: