There were no people inside the home but the three dogs were hiding under furniture.

112 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Davis Island, Florida -- Three dogs and a Guinea pig were saved from a house fire Thursday morning.

A neighbor called the fire department around 8:23 a.m. to report that a home on Danube Avenue was on fire. When firefighters arrived another neighbor told firefighters that there were three dogs inside the home.

There were no people inside the home but the three dogs were hiding under furniture. The firefighters removed the dogs from the scene and began administering oxygen via a pet mask made specifically for dogs. The firefighters also retrieved a Guinea pig from the home who was alert, unharmed and eating vegetables in its cage.

Earlier, a vet tech named Mandi Tate was working at the Davis Island Animal Clinic when she saw the fire trucks and police car going by. She, along with her boss Steven C. Lewis, D.V.M, were concerned so Mandi followed the emergency vehicles to the location of the fire. Once she saw the Tampa Fire Rescue paramedics treating the dogs she identified herself as an animal health worker and offered assistance.

After contacting the homeowner and receiving his consent, the paramedics asked if her if her veterinarian would be willing to accept the dogs for further treatment. Dr. Lewis agreed by phone and Ms. Tate drove the three dogs with the two paramedics administering oxygen to the vet clinic where Dr. Lewis began treatment. All three dogs are fine and the fire was caused by an unattended pot on a stove.

Top 10: Reasons to adopt a pet from a shelter

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
Read or Share this story: http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/05/29/davis-island-house-fire/9717391/