23 2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Auburndale, FL - Family says a mother is dead tonight after fireworks exploded inside her bedroom on the 4th of July.

It happened on Eaker Street in Auburndale, during an annual family, neighborhood holiday party.

The family got back from the hospital tonight; there they learned their loved one didn't make it.

They were too upset to go on camera but as you can imagine they are devastated.

"I heard the grand finale going off in my backyard and thought what the heck its too early," a neighbor who didn't want to be shown on camera said all day Saturday he struggled to cope with what happened. "Then I started hearing sirens...

Police say Kathryn Flint had gone into her bedroom to get the box of fireworks - when there was an apparent accidental ignition. All of the fireworks exploded.

"People laying in the driveway - animals hurt. it was crazy," said a neighbor.

Police say the victim's son pulled his mother from the burning room, through a window. They were both badly burned.

What's left now - a vacant house, hoses and a fire extinguisher.

One dog in the room died.

Another one, which reappeared when 10 News was at the scene - neighbors say was terrified and ran off last night.

"I didn't know what in the world was going on."

Witnesses to the scene and passersby say they're left with a lot of questions - and a sad reminder, "Be safe and watch out for fireworks."

See Also:

4 die, a dozen injured in post-fireworks boat crash off Miami

Flavor Flav cited by police over fireworks show

Following loss of finger, Nokomis man cautions fireworks safety

23 2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1lJhzvF