UPDATE: No trial date was set for Curtis Reeves, the man accused of shooting and killing a man inside a Pasco County movie theater earlier this year.
Judge Pat Siracusa instead scheduled another hearing for September 10. He estimates a trial would not begin until January or February of 2015.
DADE CITY, Florida (WTSP/AP) - The trial for a retired Tampa police captain accused of murder in the January movie theater shooting of a fellow patron could happen as early as this fall.
AWednesday's court hearing should settle the question of a trial date in the coming months for Curtis Reeves Jr., who is charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 13 shooting of 43-year-old Chad Oulson of Land O'Lakes.
Circuit Judge Pat Siracusa ordered Reeves to appear in court Wednesday morning. He is allowed to change into street clothes from his jail scrubs, despite prosecutors' objections.
The trial for a retired Tampa police captain accused of murder in the January movie theater shooting of a fellow patron could happen as early as this fall.
The judge also wants the state and Reeves' defense team to lay out what's left to be done before the murder trial can get underway, as well as how much time it's expected to take to select a jury and for prosecutors to prove their case against Reeves.
Reeves is accused of confronting fellow movie goer, Chad Oulson, about using his cell phone during the previews in a Wesley Chapel movie theater in January. When the 43-year-old wouldn't stop texting his 2-year-old daughter's babysitter, Reeves is accused of pulling out a gun and shooting Oulson in the chest, killing him.
His wife tried to protect her husband from the gunfire. Her finger was grazed by a bullet.
Reeves attorneys are arguing that he opened fire in self-defense. Reeves claims Oulsen grabbed his popcorn and started to punch him.
Document: Reeve's response to court's pre-trial conference order (PDF)
Judge Siracusa has indicated the trial could take place between Oct. 8 and Dec. 18. The hearing began at 10 a.m.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- PHOTOS: Shooting suspect taken into custody
- Movie theater gunman ID'd as former TPD captain
- Neighbor: Theater shooting victim a family man
- Victim Support:Chad Oulson Memorial Fund
- Witnesses: Victim threw popcorn bag at suspect
- Dad shot in theater adamant about texting daughter
- GUNS: Why are they allowed where signs forbid them?
- Deputies: Alleged movie theater shooter's gun jammed
- Popcorn defense: Can accused movie shooter use Stand Your Ground?
- 10 Investigates: History of accused movie theater shooter
- Woman describes disturbing run-in with alleged shooter
- Wife of movie theater shooting victim speaks publicly for 1st time
- WATCH:Nicole Oulson's complete statement
- Bond Hearing: Judge allows theater shooting video in courtroom
- The View: Widow discusses shooting on talk show, The View
- NO BOND: Judge denies Reeves bond in theater shooting