4 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Longboat Key, Florida -- An area restaurant is stepping up to help a local teen who ate a poisonous fish while on vacation.

Austin Goncalves, a friend, and his family went fishing while in the Bahamas for a family vacation. They all ate the mutton snapper they caught and later became sick and had to be taken by medivac to a Miami Hospital.

The illness is called Ciguatera a rare poison found in fish that occurs when the fish eat part of a toxic reef.

MORE: Details on the disease

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub on Longboat Key heard about the 15-year-old's story through social media and wanted to help.

MORE:Teen, family recovering from fish poisoning

The restaurant is known for having one-dollar bills donated by customers plastered on its walls and the owners decided to strip the money off of the walls and donate it to Austin's medical bills.

"It's an honor to be able to support a local boy," said Marketing Director, Caryn Hodge.

Mar Vista has counted more than $1,000 to help Austin and his family.

You can help too. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Aug. 2, there will be a benefit or the family at the Blue Marlin Grill, 121 Bridge St. in Bradenton.

People can also donate toward the medical bills online at this fundraising website.

To help the Goncalves, the Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub on Longboat Key removed all of its iconic dollar bills that have decorated its walls on Tuesday, and will donate the dollars to the family. WTSP

4 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1ryFciO