TAMPA, FL (AP) - A jury has been selected and a trial underway for a man accused of killing a 3-month-old baby by tossing the infant out of a moving vehicle.
Richard McTear is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Emanuel Wesley Murray, the son of Jasmine Bedwell, McTear's ex-girlfriend. Attorneys delivered opening statements Tuesday in Tampa.
This is McTear's second trial on this charge. The first, in 2013, ended abruptly days after it began when Bedwell testified about threats McTear allegedly made toward her infant son. The alleged threats were related to earlier charges and were not supposed to be discussed at trial. Bedwell's unexpected comments led the judge to declare a mistrial.
Previous coverage of the Richard McTear case:
- Man accused of throwing baby from car arrested
- Watch: Angry judge yells at Richard McTear
- Mom of thrown infant: State didn't do enough
- "It's a dirty game" - What does it mean?
- 500 pages of info released in I-275 baby toss case
- Mom of baby thrown from car sues DCF, Sheriff's Office
- Richard McTear found not guilty in battery trial
- Trial opens for man accused of throwing baby from car
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.