2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

***UPDATE***

All occupants have been evacuated. No injuries have been reported. An unattended pot on the stove caused the fire.

--


Wimuama, FL -- Hillsborough County Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire. The location was 3191 Willow Rd in Wimuama,FL. Upon arrival, HCFR found heavy smoke and flames coming from the structure. The crews were able to contain the fire and extinguish it. All occupants were evacuated prior to our arrival.

There were no injuries to civilians or personnel. The American Red Cross was initiated to help the residents with their displacement.

The HCFR Fire Investigator determined the fire was a result of an unattended pot on the stove. According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It's important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.

Cooking Safety Tips:

- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.

- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

- Keep anything that can catch fire oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from your stovetop.

- Keep children out of the kitchen while cooking.

If you have a cooking fire:

- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.

- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.

- Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.

- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

- Do not try to put water on a grease fire. It will intensify the fire.

2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1s33VvK