Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
2 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE

Tampa, Florida -- The sentencing hearing for the man who was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend's infant son will resume on Tuesday.

Back in 2009, Richard McTear kidnapped 3-month-old Emmanuel Murray Junior after getting into a fight with his mother. He then tossed the baby out of his car along I-275.

A jury convicted him of first degree murder last week, and now lawyers are arguing whether or not he should receive the death penalty. The jurors will then deliberate and give the judge their recommendation.

McTear was not the baby's father. The boy's mother, Jasmine Bedwell, testified during the trial that during the early morning hours of May 5, McTear came to her apartment and beat her up and attacked her baby.

McTear then left with Emmanuel and when Bedwell called police about the kidnapping, it would be shortly after that she was told her son had been killed.

The defense tried to prove flaws in Bedwell's statements from the past five years, showing the jury that there is no real evidence showing McTear is guilty.

Bedwell's supporters say there's finally some justice for Emmanuel. Bedwell told 10 News over the phone Thursday night that she doesn't want to comment on the case, until her baby's killer is sentenced.

Her friends are reacting for her. "I'm happy. We made it. There's justice and it's over," Bedwell's friend said.

Previous coverage of the Richard McTear case:

2 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1s4W0Ox