NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL (CBS12) -- A Boca Raton teenager vacationing with her parents at New Smyrna Beach had her fun cut short after getting bitten by a shark late Sunday afternoon.
Alex Masterson's father Taun spoke to CBS 12 saying his daughter is getting seven stitches and will hopefully be released from a central Florida hospital soon.
The family says just after 4:30 p.m. Sunday the teen was body surfing in waist deep water when she felt something brush against her hand. Before she could even react they say she realized she'd also been bitten. No one ever saw the shark.
The family says they will return home Monday evening.
This is the 6th shark bite in Volusia County this year.
GALLERY: SHARK PHOTOS
OTHER INTERESTING STORIES:
- WATCH: Swimmers' have a close call with large hammerhead shark
- Teen bitten by shark at Florida beach
- Divers welcome electronic anti-shark device
- Hammerhead sighting is not your usual fish story
- Great white shark empties beach in Massachusetts
- Shark Week over, but sharks are still in the water
- WATCH: Goliath grouper eats shark in one bite off Florida beach