Tampa, Florida -- A mother and her 13-year-old daughter are recovering from a gas grill explosion.
Their apartment's gas grill burst into flames after they lit it and then went to open it and grill some meat. It happened at 4747 Waters Ave. in Tampa at the Oaks of Woodland Park Apartments.
It was 17-year-old Alaezea Longmire's birthday party.
The cookout went up in flames before it even got started.
"She went to put the meat on it and it exploded in her face and they flew back," said Longmire.
See Also: Propane Grilling Safety Tips (PDF)
A gas leak started after the explosion. A Hazmat team was called in to contain it. A resident at the apartments told 10 News the grill is brand new, but management would not cooperate when asked if the grill had ever been used before. They asked us to leave their property.
Meanwhile, the family is concerned the gas was already leaking before they went to light it up.
Fire rescue said is still investigating.
The mother and daughter are being treated at Tampa General Hospital. 10 News is still waiting to hear from the fire department to confirm their names and their conditions, but family members say their injuries are not serious.