12 6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Tarpon Springs, Florida -- More people are coming forward Thursday night who are worried that a pesticide may have been misused in their neighborhood causing many to get sick.

It all took place at a soccer field at the East Lake Sports Complex located off of Old Keystone Road in Tarpon Springs.

Colleen Markonios lives feet away from the complex and says she was never made aware crews were injecting a pesticide known as Curfew a feet from her door.

"We smelled it. We were just not sure what it was," she says.

That was until her daughter started to get sick.

"She had red eyes, irritation and a headache," she explains.

Robert Lawson of Tampa knows all too well the problems Curfew can cause.

"I thought I was having a heart attack," he says.

He says he fought the City after it was used on a golf course in his neighborhood.

"Out of 10 houses, six people were ill," he recalls.

According to the label, Curfew is only allowed in a handful of states. It can be very dangerous if not used properly and the area it's applied needs to be closed for 24 hours.

"At least notify me to stay off the field or let me know what kind of chemicals they were going to be using," says Markonios.

For Lawson, he says he doesn't know how many more people need to get sick so that this pesticide is no longer used.

"Curfew shouldn't be used in Florida -- period," says Lawson.

The company, TriEst Ag Group who applied the chemical, released this statement:

"The application was made in accordance with the product label by certified and licensed applicators. We are cooperating with the Florida Department of Agriculture as they investigate the complaint."
12 6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1mxhbpj