Apparently it has tried to swallow the sea lion whole but it got stuck.
(CBS12 News) Coronation Beach, Australia -- A 13-foot great white shark choked to death on a sea lion that became lodged in its throat.
Stunned beachgoers caught the animal as it thrashed violently in the surf. Apparently it has tried to swallow the sea lion whole but it got stuck.The fish was discovered nearby after it died, and it was brought ashore.
The shark had been tagged in January by the Western Australia Department of Fisheries, which performed a necropsy on the animal to determine its cause of death.
PHOTO GALLERY: Shark Pictures
More Shark Stories:
- Sharks surround surfers at New Smyrna Beach Inlet
- GALLERY: Whale Sharks, the world's largest fish
- Man rides on back of a giant shark!
- Three boys reel in 692-pound Mako shark
- Was that a great white shark near Anna Maria Island?
- Huge Hammerhead Shark caught from beach by FAU student
- Hammerhead Shark pulled in to shore near Pompano Beach
- WATCH: Giant Hammerhead near Anna Maria Island
- Clean water bringing more sharks to Tampa Bay