SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (WCSC) - A 16-year-old High School student was thrown in jail and suspended from school for writing a fictional story for a class assignment about killing a dinosaur with a gun, CBS affiliate WCSC reports.
Alex Stone was taken from class, placed in handcuffs and charged with disorderly conduct.
Authorities searched his locker and backpack and did not find a weapon. According to police, Stone maintained that his story about killing a dinosaur was intended to be interpreted as a joke.
His mom said she was angry that school administrators did not call her before contacting police, who arrested her son and charged him with disorderly conduct after he argued with officers. "I never heard from the school, never. They never called me," the mother told WCSC-TV.
A lawyer representing Alex said the teen's arrest over a creative writing assignment on Tuesday was "completely absurd," his attorney said.
The attorney said they will work to appeal the suspension and proceed with the legal issues of his arrest.
"I regret it because they put it on my record, but I don't see the harm in it," Stone said."I think there might have been a better way of putting it, but I think me writing like that, it shouldn't matter unless I put it out towards a person," the boy said.
OTHER INTERESTING STORIES:
- Beluga whale plays peek-a-boo with visitors
- Some spiders thrive in urban environments
- Man arrested after toilet-seat fight with sister
- Girl impaled by golf club at fraternity house
- Snake crawls into home, eats 3 canaries
- Strange sea creatures invade West Coast beaches
- WATCH: Vaseline thwarts gluttonous squirrel
- Naked intruded left ID behind, cops say
- Man fakes death to avoid getting married