(USA TODAY) Richie Incognito is closer than ever to getting another shot in the NFL.
The free agent guard who was at the center of last year's Miami Dolphins bullying scandal is visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday, two people with knowledge of the visit confirmed to USA TODAY Sports on Monday.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the Bucs hadn't announced the visit, which was first reported by FOXSports' Jay Glazer.
Incognito, 31, has been out of work since his contract with the Dolphins expired in March. He was suspended the last eight games of the 2013 season by the Dolphins after representatives for teammate Jonathan Martin turned over evidence of alleged abuse by Incognito.
USA TODAY Sports caught up with Incognito earlier this month in Arizona, but he said, "I'm not talking until I get picked up."
The Dolphins hired attorney Ted Wells to conduct what it called an independent investigation, and a lengthy report released in February found a "pattern of harassment" of Martin, another player and one of the team's athletic trainers, with Incognito as the ringleader.
Asked by e-mail if Incognito faces discipline or is cleared to play in Week 1, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league "will clarify Richie Incognito's status as soon as possible."
Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters Aug. 1 that individual decisions would be made on each player involved in the scandal but declined to say if discipline could be imposed before the start of the season.
"It's a broad issue," Goodell told reporters during Pro Football Hall of Fame festivities in Canton, Ohio.
"I would say the one person that has been very responsive and gone through the program is Richie Incognito. We are working with his people and monitoring his progress and it's gone well."
Dolphins center Mike Pouncey and guard John Jerry, who is now with the New York Giants, also were implicated in the Wells report.
The Dolphins traded Martin to the San Francisco 49ers in March.