Edwards County, TX (CNN) - Cheval Silva had planned on watching the International Space Station streak across the sky over his ranch, but storms were rolling in, so they decided to head inside and watch T-V.
Silva drifted off to sleep, but was quickly awakened by what could be called the shock of his life.
"By a searing pain in my right foot, and when I woke up, I could see the room kind of exploded."
"Look around you, I mean, we live out here in the middle of nowhere. People hunt here, you know, day and night. I thought I had been shot."
Silva instantly went to get his granddaughter out of harm's way.
"When I picked her up she started screaming ' Grandpa, you're on fire! You're on fire!"
A bolt of lightning had just come through his roof onto his shoulder and out his leg catching both him and his favorite chair on fire.
"They couldn't find my house. We had to load my granddaughter and myself in the truck and get down to the highway intersection."
Their granddaughter was uninjured.
Silva says that other than some possible nerve damage, thanks to the Edwards County EMS and doctors in Del Rio, he is going to be fine.
His favorite chair, however, didn't make it.
"I'm awful glad my granddaughter is safe and I'm glad I still got my legs, but I'm sure going to miss that chair."
Silva says he's going to look into getting lighting rods for his home, and he isn't going to be playing the lottery anytime soon.
KSAT via CNN News Source