TAMPA, Fla. — Dozens of volunteers dove around Davis Islands to pick up the beads and debris left behind from Gasparilla.
The fourth-annual GaspOur Beads Cleanup turned up bottles, beads and even an old laptop. While divers were proud of their treasures, they were even more proud that all this trash is now out of our waters.
Divers met at 7:30 a.m. to establish teams and game plans.
Teams are eligible to win in various categories including:
- Most collected
- Biggest find
- Coolest find
- Most hazardous find
Some early front-runners included a set of traffic cones, an electric scooter and an old laptop.
According to event organizer, Mica Neal, he saw divers bringing in less beads than years past. A good sign that may indicate pirates paid attention to the Bead Free Bay initiative.
What other people are reading right now:
- FHP: 3 people killed on US 19 after driver runs a red light, runs off
- Usher sings 'Amazing Grace' before Lakers' first game since Kobe Bryant's death
- Sunday marks 7 years since the death of ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle
- Missing 81-year-old woman's truck found in river
- Ship believed to be lost in Bermuda Triangle found off coast of St. Augustine
- 3 women killed, a baby abducted, and the accused captor dead: Here's what we know