TAMPA, Fla. — Editor's Note: The video above is from October 2020.
It's the time of year to get your walk on, Tampa Bay.
The annual Miles for Moffitt event will take place on Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021.
The walk happens every year to raise both awareness and money for cancer treatments. It usually takes place in downtown Tampa but was coordinated virtually last year during the pandemic.
This year, participants have the choice to join the walk virtually or in-person at the Amalie Arena.
Here is a quick breakdown of Miles for Moffitt:
What is the race day timeline?
- 6 a.m. - Street closures begin (People are encouraged to arrive early to avoid getting caught in street closures)
- 7 a.m. - Packet pick up (Race day registration available), Zumba, The ReMissions perform
- 7:30 a.m. - Welcome
- 8 a.m. - 10K, Wheelchair Races start
- 8:30 a.m. - 5K Race start
- 9 a.m. - 1K Fun Run or Walk start
- 9:30 a.m. - Run with Raymond Kids Dash (100 yards, ages 8 and younger)
- 10 a.m. - Award winner announcements, "Survivor Tribute Ceremony" on Race Village Stage
Parking and directions
There is a list of approved garages and lots available for event participants. Metered parking along the street is available but, keep in mind, the city of Tampa weekend rates and time limits still apply.
Event leaders encourage people to carpool with teammates for easier access.
Approved parking garages and lots include:
- Pam Iorio Parking Garage – Adjacent to Amalie Arena | 301 Channelside Drive (VIP Parking Only)
- Tampa Convention Center Garage – Entrance off Brorein Street | 333 South Franklin Street ($2 per hour)
- Channelside Garage – Across from Channelside Bay Plaza ($2 per hour)
- Fort Brooke Garage – Corner of Whiting Street & Florida Avenue | 107 North Franklin Street ($2 per hour)
- Channelside Garrison Lot – Across from Channelside Bay Plaza, west side (Weekend rates apply)
- Selmon Expressway Lot 2 (310 South Florida Avenue)
- Selmon Expressway Lot 3 (302 South Morgan Street)
- Selmon Expressway Lot 4 (317 South Jefferson Street) and South (853 East Whiting Street) (Weekend rates apply)
- Bissett Lots – Eunice Street between South Morgan Street & South Jefferson Street (Weekend rates apply)
- Booker Lot – Morgan Street, south of Whiting Street (Weekend rates apply)
RELATED: Miles for Moffitt
Where do the proceeds go?
One hundred percent of donations go to the organization. They provide the opportunity for new clinical trials and advanced treatments that help people who have been diagnosed with cancer.
Miles for Moffitt reported 6,500 people across 44 of the 50 United States took part in the virtual event last year, and 10 Tampa Bay was happy to partner with the cause.
So far, $1,002,201 have been raised out of the $1,200,000 goal and that number continues to climb.
Where do I pick up my packet?
From 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 17, participants can go to the Moffitt Cancer Center - McKinley Campus to pick them up.
There will be signs pointing people in the direction for packet pickup parking across the street from the parking garage.
On race day, the packets will be in the Race Village located at Amalie Arena's Ford Thunder Alley. This will also be the location where the race results will be available. A link to participants' results and race photos will be emailed to them after the race.
How to sign up
Participants have the option to register as an individual, join an existing team, form a team of their own, donate or volunteer. Online registration closes at 8 a.m. on the day of the race.
To learn more about how you can become a part of this impactful cause, click here.
The website makes it easy for you to sign up as a new participant or sign in as a returning user.
- 1K Fun Run/Walk
- 5K | 3.1 Miles
- 10K | 6.2 Miles
- 10K Wheelchair Race | 6.2 Miles
- Virtual Adult Registration
- Run with Raymond Kid's Registration (Virtual or In-Person, 8 & Under)
Organizers of the event say they are monitoring CDC and state guidelines and will provide updates on what the fundraiser will look like in November as it gets closer to race day.
Click here to join our team!