The rain threatened to wash out the final leg of a three-day giveback by Rob Johnson and volunteers from Post 911 Veterans but their delivery was made just before lunchtime.
"We got soaking wet but it was well worth it," said Johnson, a Mellow Mushroom franchisee.
A few dozen pizza boxes left with the staff of the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital on Thursday completed a 500-plus pie donation around Tampa Bay.
The pizza deliveries were made on three different days as a ‘thank you’ from local patriots.
"You have our current healthcare heroes taking care of our veteran heroes," said Migacz. "It's a win-win."
Mellow Mushroom made good on the donation and contacted Post 911 Veterans to find the deserving recipients of the food.
"We were looking for a way to give back to our community so we came up with a program called 'A Pie For A Pie'," said franchise owner Rob Johnson. "We wanted to show our appreciation for our healthcare workers who are takign care of our veterans and it was a no-brainer for us."
Migacz and Johnson have been friends for years. Mellow Mushroom even sponsored the Post 911 Veteran's Gasparilla Krewe. James A. Haley is a big part of the community for veterans and civilians alike. Migacz did not serve in the military but felt compelled to support local vets after meeting the founder of Post 911 Veterans five years ago. He's served on the Board of Directors for years.
"The reason I like to do (this) is because I didn't serve," said Migacz. "It's one of the most rewarding things I've been apart of."
A 2019 survey by Wallet Hub claimed Tampa as the top place in the country for veterans to live.
Nearly 100,000 veterans live in Tampa Bay.
What other people are reading right now:
- Read George Floyd’s full autopsy report
- Preparations underway for memorial services for George Floyd
- Chauvin charges elevated to 2nd-degree murder in Floyd's death, 3 other officers charged
- Gov. DeSantis says Phase 2 of reopening Florida begins Friday
- Police: Protester with loaded gun throws object at St. Pete police chief
- 20-year-old shot with 'less lethal' round at Austin protest, now in critical condition
- The will of 'Tiger King' star Carole Baskin's missing husband Don Lewis was forged, sheriff says
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter