ST PETERSBURG, Pa. — Longtime 10News WTSP sports anchor Jerry Johnson died Monday following a battle with severe kidney and liver problems.
He was 62 years old.
Johnson, who led the station's aerial high school football coverage in Sky10 each week for the "Friday Night Fly Around," worked at 10News from 1982-2001.
Reporter Beau Zimmer said Johnson was best known for his love of auto racing and offbeat sports stories.
"Jerry was described by former co-workers as an 'extremely talented' sports journalist who loved boating, fishing, and his annual trips to Indy," Zimmer wrote in a memorial on Facebook.
"So long Jerry. You will be missed."
What other people are reading right now:
- Hold your horses: Horseback riding ban could be coming to Tampa Bay
- Man accused of killing Pinky the flamingo hit and killed by a truck
- Video shows moment newborn pulled from plastic bag in woods
- Police: Baby girl dies from heroin and cocaine; parents indicted on homicide charges
- Rays owner announces goal of having 2 new stadiums in Tampa Bay and Montreal
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.