JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Stand by for an overload of cute!
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens announced a reticulated giraffe calf was born early Wednesday.
There's a bittersweet element to the story, though. The baby's father, Duke, died in December. This was his 18th offspring, zoo officials said.
This is the seventh calf for mother Naomi, the zoo told WJAX. The calf is 187 pounds and 6 feet, 4 inches tall.
“The arrival of our beloved Duke’s son is an especially moving way to honor his amazing legacy," said Dan Maloney, deputy zoo director. "We’re all looking forward to watching this little guy grow and develop.”
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman pushed elderly man from bus after he told her to be nice, police say
- Florida mayor threatens to kill neighbors after incident with his daughter, police say
- Mom, 2 kids died in Town 'n' Country apartment fire, sheriff says
- Thinking about getting the hepatitis A vaccine? You might need your wallet
- Video shows healthcare staff punching, beating man with disabilities with belt
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.