TAMPA, Fla. — Big Cat Rescue in Tampa says one of its residents has died of a broken heart.
The rescue said Zabu the white tiger was euthanized Monday after suffering from kidney failure.
Officials, however, said they believe she died because she was missing Cameron, a lion who was rescued with Zabu in 2004.
The rescue called the cats "Big Cat Rescue's odd couple." It said the two were raised together as a roadside zoo, and its owners had hoped the two would mate so they could sell "liger" cubs.
The rescue fixed the two cats and built a big enclosure for them.
Cameron was put down March 12.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man accused of sexually battering 6-year-old girl
- Florida couple forgot they left their toddler at the park for hours: deputies
- Man electrocuted trying to use a metal pole to remove bird from power line
- Fifth earthquake strikes near Alabama-Florida state line
- 'Dreamer' flight attendant detained by ICE after flying to Mexico for her job
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.