FLORIDA, USA — What's cuter than a manatee? A baby manatee.
Jeff Qualls says he was "incredibly lucky" to witness the birth of a manatee right in the canal behind his house in July in Rockland Key, Florida.
You have to keep watching (and it's not too gross, promise): The water is calm and still as mama manatee floats around and then... pop goes the baby just at the surface. The little calf knows what to do just then and there -- and that's to hang out with mom.
Qualls has posted updates on his Facebook pages since the birth, saying it appears mother manatee and baby are doing well and rolling around as manatees do.
He said he thinks mom leaves to go find food -- with baby close behind -- only to return to calmer waters in the evening.
What other people are reading right now:
- Drunk boater accused of crashing into another boat, causing it to sink
- 'We saw justice': McGlockton family reacts to guilty verdict in Drejka trial
- Track Tropical Storm Dorian: Spaghetti models, cone of uncertainty and more
- Golfer has to watch out for this gator on a Florida course
- Escaped inmate found by Escambia County deputies
- Family: Newlyweds killed in accident minutes after getting married
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.