TAMPA, Fla. — A Tampa second grader received the ultimate surprise Friday at her school assembly. Her dad, Army service member Rafael Sanchez just returned home from service training.
Claywell Elementary student Coral Pena thought Friday’s school assembly was just honoring local veterans but when her dad came out, she ran and gave him a giant hug. The two were greeted with applause from classmates and veterans in attendance.
“I’m blessed to be able to be a part of this,” Sanchez said.
Sanchez had been away for six months and was able to keep the big reveal a surprise thanks to family.
“I wasn’t able to be here for her birthday this year,” Sanchez said. “That was the first birthday I ever missed so being here now, just being able to spend time with my family is a beautiful thing.”
Sanchez will get to spend time with family for two weeks before returning to training.
What other people are reading right now:
- Suspect in Aniah Blanchard disappearance arrested in Florida
- Chemical mixture at Buffalo Wild Wings kills 1 employee
- Sheriff: Former middle school assistant principal, theme park workers caught in child porn bust
- Thief steals thousands of dollars in gifts from Clearwater couple's wedding
- Sarasota man demands mug shot be removed, so deputies did this
FREE 10NEWS APP: