CLEARWATER, Fla. — Avery Worthington has been through a lot in her five short years of life after being diagnosed with congenital heart disease.
While going through numerous surgeries, treatment and procedures, she found comfort and became obsessed with dolphins.
Avery's mom, Sarah, thinks Avery finds comfort with dolphins like Winter and Hope because the local stars also needed medical treatment to overcome their own disabilities.
After reading books, watching documentaries, watching her favorite movie multiple times and watching the local legends through the Clearwater Marine Aquarium's livestream, a Florida organization made it possible for her to meet two of her favorite dolphins.
"It’s a dream she traveled all the way from Ohio to have come true," the aquarium wrote in a news release.
Make-A-Wish Southern Florida granted Avery's ultimate wish. She said she was excited to "pet and give them kisses."
Her once-in-a-lifetime wish was granted after getting to spending private time with the dolphins at the aquarium Friday.
What other people are reading right now:
- 15 apps parents should look out for on their kids' phones
- Police: Man dies after breaking into speedway, crashing go-kart
- Caylee Anthony would have been 14 today; It's been 8 years since her mother's acquittal
- 4 people accused of sneaking cell phone into the Pinellas County Jail
- 3 men assaulted man after luring him through gay dating app, police say
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.