TAMPA, Fla. — If you text a keyword to "61873" in connection with the Bolts Text Club, you could be eligible for a settlement, according to court documents.
The class-action lawsuit settlement was preliminarily approved in January and is set for a final approval hearing on April 7.
Court documents show that the Tampa Bay Lightning have agreed to pay a $2.25 million settlement fund after a Tampa man filed a lawsuit in 2019 over promotional text messages.
Bryan Hanley, who filed the claim, said he received an “onslaught” of promotional text messages in hopes of winning tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Boston Bruins game in 2018.
Hanley claims he did not win the contest, but still received texts beyond the Dec. 6 game.
According to the lawsuit, Hanley was afraid to text “stop” to end the texts, because he was fearful it would prevent him from winning the tickets.
The settlement also notes that the Lightning agrees to implement a training program and institute compliance protocols to ensure compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act before beginning any new text message marketing programs.
A spokesperson for the Lightning told 10News:
“Although we firmly believe we acted lawfully in texting our fans on an opt-in basis, and in our position in this case, we thought it best to avoid the cost and distraction of litigation, so we elected to settle, giving everyone involved the opportunity to move forward.”
More than 180,000 individuals may be settlement class members, according to the lawsuit.
The deadline to file a claim is set for June 8, 2020. If you think you have a claim, you can file here.
- Polls open for South Carolina's Democratic primary
- US, Taliban sign peace agreement aimed at ending America's longest war
- 'I never got to give you my last name': Fiancé grieves after woman dies in I-295 crash
- Jungle Cruise boat full of passengers sinks at Disney World
- Person presumed to have coronavirus in Oregon works at elementary school
- K-9 deputy attacked by a venomous snake while searching for missing baby
- Skyway 10K guide: Everything you need to know to race
FREE 10NEWS APP: