FORT MEADE, Fla. — A human body was found in the water near an alligator on Thursday just off Peeples Road near County Road 630 in Polk County.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says the remains of a deceased man were pulled from a canal on the property of The Mosaic Company, which does mining along Highway 630 -- just west of Fort Meade. An employee doing inspections discovered the man's body.
"At this time, we have no information regarding the cause of death, the man's identity, or how long the man has been deceased," a spokesperson for the sheriff's office wrote in an email. "An autopsy will be conducted to determine that."
The Mosaic Company said the victim was not an employee.
The 11-foot, 10-inch alligator has been captured, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is launching an investigation. Authorities said the animal weighed 449 pounds and was being taken to the medical examiner's office.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman uses shovel to kill cobra slithering on her patio
- Man accused of killing Pinky the flamingo hit and killed by a truck
- Police: Man shot baby in the head after child's mom rejected his advances
- Ban on horseback riding in the water could be coming to Tampa Bay
- Dealership gives Bible, gun, American flag to everyone who buys a car
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.