BARTOW, Fla. — A 31-year-old from Bartow is accused of killing a man whose daughter he was dating.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says Raul De Alejandro Rodriguez, Jr., during an argument, grabbed a shotgun and shot the man just before 6 a.m. Friday near Transport Road and Spruce Road in unincorporated Bartow.
Deputies say they stopped Rodriguez in a car seen leaving the area. Investigators say he had a shotgun shell in his pocket and another in a bag.
"The responding deputies arrived so quickly that they were able to set-up a
tight perimeter and the Aviation Unit easily spotted the suspect trying to get
away; he was detained very quickly," Sheriff Grady Judd wrote in a statement.
Rodriguez is facing charges of first-degree murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, armed burglary with a firearm and tampering with a witness.
What other people are reading right now:
- 2 passengers onboard fully-vaccinated Royal Caribbean cruise test positive for COVID-19
- Full Stanley Cup Semifinals schedule between Lightning, Islanders released
- Deputies: Body found near Skyway Bridge identified as missing Hillsborough County woman
- Inmate accused of murdering baby scales wall to escape Pinellas County Jail, planned to 'Uber to Panama'
- Coughing at a Pinellas County beach? Red tide could be why
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter