BRANDON, Fla. — Hillsborough County Sheriff's detectives are currently investigating an overnight shooting in Brandon.
Deputies say the sheriff's office got a phone call around 4:30 a.m. about shots fired at Woodberry Woods Apartments on Tealwood Drive, which is off Grand Regency Blvd near Woodberry Road.
When deputies arrived, they found a man dead in the doorway of an apartment unit at the complex.
Detectives say the intruder was knocking on a woman's apartment door just before 4:30 a.m. Sunday. The intruder then pushed the door open and began arguing with the woman, detectives say.
According to HCSO, the intruder then confronted a man who was inside the apartment and shot him at least once on his lower body. His injuries are non-life threatening.
Fearing for her life, the woman then went into a bedroom and got a gun, detectives say. Another argument took place before gunfire was exchanged between the intruder and the woman. The woman shot the intruder, and he was later found in the doorway of the apartment unit by deputies. The woman was not injured.
"We believe the decedent and woman involved in this shooting knew each other," said Sheriff Chad Chronister. "We are still investigating the events that led up to this incident, however, it does appear domestic in nature."
Deputies say the investigation is active and ongoing.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Trump signs executive orders as Capitol Hill coronavirus aid talks break down
- 'He was defending himself and his family': Homeowner shoots, kills suspected invader
- St. Petersburg officer shoots, kills man she says grabbed her by the neck
- Suspected rapist who was freed due to coronavirus kills his accuser in Virginia, police say
- Education commissioner rejects Hillsborough County's effort to start school entirely online
- Another 182 Floridians have died from COVID-19, state reports
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter