TAMPA, Fla. — The Tampa Police department says it has identified the person responsible for a deadly shooting on May 17 at Curtis Hixon Park in downtown Tampa after nearly 100 people showed up to the park earlier that night.
Police say they got the call around 12:14 a.m. Sunday morning. When police arrived, they found an 18-year-old near the east side of the park who had been shot.
Officers immediately began lifesaving efforts until fire rescue arrived. The 18-year-old, later identified by police as Jay Jay Javorous McGuire, was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where he later died.
Earlier that night, around 9:30 p.m., police say almost 100 people came to Curtis Hixon Park, which then caused a disturbance and fighting. A video provided by the department shows a crowd of people gathered together in a group, presumably fighting.
Detectives say they believe the shooter and 18-year-old who was killed were part of this crowd.
The individual believed to be the shooter has been interviewed and police say a gun has been recovered. The investigation is ongoing and" appropriate charges" are under review.
If you have any information regarding the shooting, contact Crime Stoppers at 800-873-TIPS. Police say tips include any video of the incidents and social media posts.
What other people are reading right now:
- Firefighters battle shed fire at Howard Blake High School
- Tropical Storm Arthur develops off Florida coast
- Gym owners hopeful, preparing to reopen as part of phase one
- Breaking down Gov. DeSantis' new phase one guidance: What does it mean?
- Disney Springs releases new guidelines ahead of reopening
- Nursing homes can't seize stimulus checks for Medicare, FTC says
- Governor sparks outrage after blaming some Floridians for errors on unemployment applications
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter