TAMPA, Fla. — The state will seek the death penalty for a man accused of killing a HART bus driver in May.
Prosecutors filed a notice with the 13th Judicial Circuit that it wants the death penalty for Justin Ryan McGriff. McGriff is accused of slitting Thomas Dunn's throat May 18 near Nebraska Avenue and Locust Street.
According to an affidavit, McGriff told the driver "God bless you" before killing him.
After Dunn's death, HART announced it will install safety barriers on its 210 buses to protect drivers.
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman charged with child neglect after 1-year-old overdosed on fentanyl, deputies say
- Dog dies less than an hour after visiting lake. Vet says it was 'most likely' toxic algae
- Police: Teen jumps fence into somebody else's back yard, dies after 3 dogs attack
- Tampa Bay-area school looks at possibility of 4-day school weeks
- 15 apps parents should look out for on their kids' phones
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.