HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — A 20-year-old man is accused of shooting and killing his 57-year-old grandfather Thursday in eastern Hernando County.
The sheriff's office says deputies arrested Timothy Ryan Gaffney for the killing of Dana Gaffney Sr., who was shot just after 8 a.m. at his home on Wheystone Drive.
Gaffney Sr. was taken to a nearby trauma center, where he died.
According to investigators, Timothy was found less than two hours later -- a short distance from the home. Deputies say they caught him after a short foot chase.
It's unclear what led up to the shooting or what detectives think might have prompted it.
Timothy Gaffney is charged with second-degree murder with a firearm, aggravated assault with a firearm, and possession of a firearm by a felon.
After detectives finish interviewing him, Timothy will be taken to the Hernando County Detention Center shortly, where he will be held without bond.
What other people are reading right now:
- Teacher accused of having sex with student found dead along with her husband
- Mom whose toddler was run over by an SUV lost another child in a 2015 crash, deputies say
- Polk County food bank damaged by tornado reopens
- Thief steals thousands of dollars in gifts from Clearwater couple's wedding
- Kayaker captures video of monkeys belly-flopping into Florida river
FREE 10NEWS APP: