RIVERVIEW, Fla. — The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office needs your help finding a teen they say stole a car with a child in it.
Deputies say the 11-year-old child is safe now, but they are still looking for the teen boy who drove away with them in the backseat.
Investigators say on Saturday, the teen got into a black Honda Civic that was sitting idly at a 7-Eleven in Riverview. Then, the teen drove away with the child still inside, deputies said.
The sheriff's office says the teen also hit the child while they were inside the car.
"This teen committed several felonies by, not only stealing a car, but putting a child's life in danger," Sheriff Chad Chronister said.
At some point, the teen stopped and let the 11-year-old get out of the car, detectives said.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office at (813) 247-8200.
- GoFundMe set up for girl seriously hurt in crash involving Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid
- 'Incredibly disappointing': Police respond to reports of maskless crowds at Super Bowl even featuring DJ Steve Aoki in Tampa
- Tampa Bay students write letters of encouragement to the Bucs ahead of Super Bowl LV
- Where to watch Super Bowl LV around Tampa Bay
- Here's how to avoid parking in downtown Tampa ahead of Super Bowl LV
- Everything you need to know about Super Bowl LV in Tampa
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter