ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — St. Petersburg police have arrested a man a week after he was accused of shooting into a black BMW that crashed into a tree.
William John Shutt, 31, shot into a black BMW around 4:21 p.m. on March 27 at 17th Avenue Northeast and Bay Street Northeast, according to police. The BMW crashed into a tree around 1st Street Northeast near 20th Avenue Northeast.
Quentin Hicks, 42, later died from his injuries, police said. The other man's current condition is unknown. Police identified a Blue Hyundai seen driving away in a surveillance video and released a composite of the suspect.
After an investigation, detectives identified Shutt after seeing his SUV.
Shutt did not know the victims before the shooting and police said a traffic dispute led to the shooting. He was arrested around 4 a.m. Wednesday after police he went inside his girlfriend's house without permission.
He was cited with careless driving after causing a crash just five days before the shooting, according to court documents. In April 2018, he was cited for reckless driving for "cutting in front, speed, and failure to obey, the court documents also read.
Shutt is charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and residential burglary.
What other people are reading right now:
- Judge says doctor must examine John Jonchuck for competency before trial can continue
- Florida woman accused of directing 11-year-old daughter to steal from Walmart
- Armed mom stops man from kidnapping her daughter
- Boyfriend assaults girlfriend after she appears to pretend to break up with him; police
- Drug dealer was killed because he owed thousands, deputies say
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.