SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — A man who pleaded guilty to molesting an 11-year-old girl who later tested positive for chlamydia will reportedly not be facing prison time.
Police say the 11-year-old girl met Joseph Meili, 22, on the app called "Meet Me," The Journal News reports. The girl reportedly used her mom's phone to contact Meili, and he is accused of kidnapping her after picking her up in a car and driving her to an apartment.
The girl reportedly told police she fell asleep before Meili is accused of removing her clothes and raping her.
Police were searching for the girl while she was being sexually assaulted, WTTG reports.
Investigators say the 11-year-old later tested positive for chlamydia. According to WTTG, Meili said the page on the app showed the girl was 18 and his attorney claimed he was "essentially catfished" and felt horrible when he found out she was 11.
He pleaded guilty to one count of third-degree child molestation, WTTG reports. The charges for statutory rape and child kidnapping were reportedly dropped due to a plea agreement.
Meili was sentenced to five years of supervised probation and will have to register as a sex offender as part of his plea deal.
What other people are reading right now:
- Nearly half of young people aren't using deodorant, poll finds
- Mom charged with homicide nearly a decade after 4-year-old girl's death
- New Jersey man found dead in the Dominican Republic; 9th American tourist to die in country
- Hernando County pizza restaurant customers may have been exposed to hepatitis A
- Acting defense secretary explains why he withdrew from leading Pentagon
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.