ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A 23-year-old man who had escaped from a group home was stabbed to death after breaking through a bedroom window at a nearby house, investigators say.
It happened around 4:50 a.m. Monday in the area of 68th Street North in unincorporated St. Petersburg.
Authorities say Chase Richardson got into an argument with another resident at a group home on 40th Avenue North before crawling out his bedroom window and proceeding to bang on the doors and windows of nearby houses.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says one homeowner yelled for him to leave while Richardson was banging his fists on the man's door. According to law enforcement, Richardson then went around the side of the man's house and broke through a window to the master bedroom.
Detectives say the man's wife ran from the bedroom, and the man -- fearing for his family's safety -- stabbed Richardson, who was trying to climb through the window.
Deputies say Richardson retreated and was found by a group home staff member, who had gone looking for him. He collapsed in the street and was rushed to a local hospital, where he died.
No criminal charges are expected.
What other people are reading right now:
- Police want your help finding this man
- THC-laced Nerds Rope has police warning parents to check Halloween candy
- Florida dog missing for 12 years found in Pennsylvania
- Jennifer Kesse vanished without a trace nearly 14 years ago. Her parents search for her every day.
- Stop calling 911: Pasco deputy has advice to man who keeps calling about his stolen weed
FREE 10NEWS APP: