NORTH PORT, Fla. — North Port police say they have arrested the man responsible for a deadly shooting in the 8400 block of Chesapeake Ave.
Officers say 47-year-old Shawn Baker was charged with murder.
Police say they received a call around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday regarding a shooting that turned into a homicide investigation when a woman was found dead at the scene.
According to an arrest report, Baker called 911 and told dispatchers he had shot and killed the woman. He also said the gun was loaded and in the bedroom. He then said he would be waiting on his knees with his hands up in the front yard, according to police.
Police then found the woman inside the house on the bed in the master bedroom and said it appeared she'd been shot in the head.
The woman's three children were inside the house at the time of the shooting, officers said. They were not injured and officers said the children didn't see Baker shoot their mother.
- Florida releases school COVID-19 dashboard
- 2020 Champions Boat Parade brings Stanley Cup through Tampa
- VERIFY: Fact-checking the first presidential debate
- Gov. DeSantis lets eviction, mortgage foreclosure moratorium expire to make room for nationwide order
- Here's how to find your ballot drop-off location
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
- Tropics 'wake up,' new disturbance to watch
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newslett