ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 1-year-old boy's parents face child abuse charges after investigators claim they missed several doctors' appointments and didn't get his medicine after his liver transplant, KOAT-TV reports.
Fox News says Kyla and Jason Witterman were arrested Monday for failing to take their son to follow-up appointments and get his medications after he had a liver transplant in April 2018.
KOAT-TV cited court documents where an educator with New Mexico Donor Services, Maria Sanders, said medication after a transplant is vital so the body doesn’t reject the new organ.
According to Fox News, the child’s doctors went to police after the parents started missing appointments.
The child and his 13-year-old brother are in state custody and are staying with family members, KOAT reports.
What other people are reading right now:
- Convicted child molester who escaped from Florida prison captured in Miami-Dade
- Mother arrested after daughter licks tongue depressor, puts it back at Jacksonville doctor's office
- Dolphin found impaled in the head in South Florida
- He called police on black women at swimming pool. Now he's facing criminal charges
- Fecal pollution puts Tampa area beaches under 'health advisory'
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.