PORT RICHEY, Fla. — A motorcyclist turned himself in to police following the hit-and-run crash that killed a 7-year-old boy as he looked at Christmas lights, troopers said.
Shaun Wyrich, 19, visited the Port Richey Police Department on Sunday and admitted to his involvement in the deadly crash, according to a Florida Highway Patrol news release.
He was taken to the Pasco County Jail and charged with leaving the scene of a crash involving death and no motorcycle endorsement. Troopers say his bike was picked up at a home on Fox Hollow Drive in Port Richey, not far from where the crash happened.
Wyrich is out of jail on $20,500 bond.
The child was hit just before 9:30 p.m. near Regency Park Boulevard and King Arthur Drive, FHP said.
Troopers say the boy, who was looking at Christmas lights, was crossing Regency Park Boulevard when Wyrich crashed into him. The child was taken to a hospital, where he later died.
People placed a cross, flowers and stuffed animals Sunday afternoon near the crash site as a memorial for the boy.
What other people are reading right now:
- Alcohol to-go could be here to stay for Florida restaurants
- Families of sailors killed in NAS Pensacola attack receive Purple Hearts
- Second $1,200 stimulus check 'may still be in play,' Biden says
- State Senate committee to review Florida's response to the pandemic
- Florida mother sues Legoland, says water park humiliated her son
- Here's where to see Christmas lights around Tampa Bay
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter