HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — The Florida Department of Law Enforcement will assist local deputies in their investigation into a deadly shooting as it involves a retired officer.
It is a "domestic-related" incident, the Hernando County Sheriff's Office said. The shooting happened Sunday on Picardy Court in Weeki Wachee.
The agency said it reached out FDLE after learning one of the people involved in the shooting is retired from the sheriff's office. The man, who is unidentified, volunteers his time as a reserve deputy sheriff.
He was not volunteering at the time of the shooting, deputies added.
The sheriff's office on Sunday said "all persons" have been accounted for and are cooperating with detectives. There was no apparent threat to the public.
- Florida reports highest new single-day COVID-19 numbers, more than any other state
- Florida sees uptick in deaths following spikes in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations
- Army veteran dies from coronavirus at 37; friends hope his death will serve as cautionary tale
- Three armed men broke into a gun enthusiast's home. The sheriff says he shot them one-by-one.
- 'We're the epicenter' | Epidemiologists say action to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Florida needs to be taken now
- 'It's not the same for everyone, and no one's safe': 25-year-old shares her battle with COVID-19
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter