ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — New police bodycam footage shows the moment former Tampa Bay Rays player Johnny Damon was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence in central Florida last month.
In a video posted on YouTube by the Windermere Police Department, Damon can be seen stumbling out of his vehicle against the orders of an officer and being very disoriented and confused as to why police stopped him.
Damon, 47, was pulled over when officers said they noticed his car kept crossing onto the road's yellow lines, and even onto the median at one point.
Police said Damon "showed signs of intoxication" when he got out of his car, being unsteady on his feet and slurring his words, an arrest report said.
The video shows Damon being asked to do a few sobriety tests, which he was unable to perform. Officers then place him in custody.
WKMG-TV spoke to Damon after he bonded out of jail.
“Jail sucks, handcuffs are worse,” Damon told the outlet. “I’m always accountable for my actions and we’ll see what happens soon. But, I will be honest with you and always be accountable and like I said I would never put myself, my loved ones or anybody in harm’s way getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. So, I apologize and hopefully, I can answer more questions later on.”
Damon played in the MLB from 1995 to 2012. He has played for the Kansas City Royals, Oakland Athletics, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, Tampa Bay Rays and the Cleveland Indians.
- Fallen Tampa officer veered cruiser into path of wrong-way driver to keep others safe, chief says
- Need a COVID vaccine? Tampa's FEMA site has hundreds of them
- Jury selection begins in Derek Chauvin murder trial
- Texts show Manatee County leader, developer discuss how vaccine pop-up site could help Gov. DeSantis
- Sex offender on the run for 21 years lived under fake name in Pasco County, US Marshals say
- Police: Occupants in car shot more than a dozen times were likely 'targeted' in Clearwater drive-by shooting
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter