LARGO, Fla. — A father in Largo is facing a first-degree murder charge after the death of his 7-week-old child.
Police said Anthony Suffoletto, 28, was caring for the 7-week-old baby when the mother left to pick up an older sibling. During that time, police said the baby stopped breathing.
When the mother returned home almost an hour later, she saw the child was not breathing and called 911. The baby was pronounced deceased at a local hospital. Doctors said the baby suffered "a violent end."
Police said doctors examined the child and found injuries "consistent with non-accidental trauma." Police said the baby suffered rib fractures, multiple leg fractures, brain bleeding and bleeding in the eyes.
Suffoletto denied the abuse by telling police he woke up to the baby making a moaning sound and gasping. According to an arrest affidavit, he told police that instead of calling 911 he took the baby to an upstairs bathroom and splashed water on the child.
He said he then called the child's mother to tell her the baby was not breathing.
What other people are reading right now:
- Rib fractures and brain bleeding: Police say a dad violently murdered his baby
- Man punched companion in face when he found out he was a pedophile, police say
- Two first cousins say they're in love and are petitioning to get legally married
- Trainer with autism opens gym specifically for clients with autism
- After DNA test, man discovers he's an African prince
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.