DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to a year in jail for the beating death of his 7-month-old Labrador puppy named Ponce.
News outlets report that 46-year-old Travis Archer was sentenced Wednesday. He pleaded no contest earlier this month to felony animal cruelty.
Officers responding to a report of suspicious noises in Archer's Ponce Inlet neighborhood in 2017 found the dead and battered Ponce in Archer's backyard. Archer was arrested, and Ponce's death ultimately led to the passage of Ponce's Law, which increases penalties for animal cruelty.
What other people are reading right now:
- America's first Thanksgiving was actually in St. Augustine, Florida
- Why the 'Trucker Salute' is a tradition worth saving
- Woman accused of firing into KFC for not being given a fork and a napkin
- Two people arrested for pulling a horse behind a pickup truck
- Users report Facebook, Instagram outages around the world
- Woman meets long-lost brother...60 years later
- President Trump: We're not going to change the name 'Thanksgiving'
FREE 10NEWS APP: