SAN FRANCISCO — Alyssa Nakken became the first female coach on a major league staff in baseball history Thursday when she was named an assistant under new San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler.
Nakken is a former softball standout at first base for Sacramento State who joined the club in 2014 as an intern in baseball operations.
She and Mark Hallberg, who was also named as an assistant Thursday, will work to promote high performance along with a close-knit team atmosphere. Nakken will be in uniform.
The NBA has several female assistant coaches.
The NFL's San Francisco 49ers, playing in this Sunday's NFC championship game, have Katie Sowers as an offensive assistant.
What other people are reading right now:
- Davenport woman arrested after baby dies from brain bleeding and skull fractures, deputies say
- 'Best rainfall in years' | Rain drenches parts of Australia, helps contain fires and brings drought relief
- CDC warns flu vaccine does not match the virus hitting children especially hard
- Restaurant Red Alert: Beach bar owner blames rat problem on neighboring construction site
- Dog gives birth to lime green puppy named 'Hulk'
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower