PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. — The mayors of the predominately Black farming communities neighboring Lake Okeechobee have sent a letter to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis saying their seniors have no access to the coronavirus vaccine.
DeSantis has given sole distribution rights in Palm Beach County to Publix, but the supermarket chain has no stores within 25 miles of Belle Glade, Pahokee and South Bay. That means the neighboring towns' 5,000 senior residents cannot easily get their shots.
Meanwhile, the state is setting up distribution sites in mostly white senior communities around the state.
The governor's press office did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment Wednesday.
- Florida bill would let police watch crowds with drones
- NWS confirms Tallahassee tornado was high-end EF-0
- Polk County fire captain accused of stealing COVID-19 vaccines turns himself in
- Buccaneers select Super Bowl LV uniform
- Here's how many fans will be allowed to attend Super Bowl LV
- Parking, tickets, map: Everything you need to know about the Super Bowl Experience
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter