Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced an initiative to try and get people to work together in the fight against COVID-19.
It's called One Goal, One Florida.
The announcement of the initiative came Friday, the same day the state health department reported a record number of coronavirus deaths.
Friday's report said 257 Floridians had died after testing positive for the virus. That brings the total number of COVID-19-related deaths as of the latest report to 6,843 Florida residents since the pandemic began.
The state said 123 non-residents had also died from the virus since the pandemic began.
Florida has reported 3,409 new deaths (Floridians and non-residents) just in July. That’s more than 48 percent of the total number of deaths reported since March.
- Hurricane Isaias forms in the Caribbean
- Florida no longer closing state-run COVID-19 west coast testing sites due to tropical weather
- Police: Man went on shooting sprees across Tampa, Hillsborough County before shooting officer
- Fauci suggests wearing goggles, eye shields as extra protection from COVID-19
- Another 253 Floridians have died from coronavirus
- Almost half of Florida's deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in July
- Tampa native Bernard Lafayette remembers good friend and fellow activist John Lewis
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter