TAMPA, Fla. — People are starved for professional sports here in Florida.
We've been robbed of another great finish to the Tampa Bay Lightning's NHL season, the Rays' stadium has been dormant for months, and we haven't been able to properly welcome Tom Brady or Rob Gronkowski to the Bucs.
So, when can we expect pro sports to get back into action?
Gov. Ron DeSantis says starting this week, all professional sports teams are welcome to start practicing and playing here.
Just in time, too, with the potential of the MLB season to start around July 4 and spring training possibly beginning in early-to-mid-June.
"Professional sports are going to be welcome in Florida," Gov. DeSantis said. "That may not be the case in every over state in this country as we've seen. What I would tell commissioners of leagues is, if you have a team in an area where they just won't let them operate, we'll find a place for you here in the state of Florida, because we think it's important and we know it can be done."
This announcement by the governor is one the Tampa Bay Rays appreciate as they look to the process of being able to safely return to the field.
“As a team that both trains and resides in Florida, we appreciate Governor DeSantis’ sentiments, and we look forward to when we safely resume activity," the team said.
However, don't start celebrating just yet - fans still aren't allowed to attend practices or games, yet. It's not yet clear when fans might be able to return. And, when they do, there will likely be limits on how many are allowed into a venue at once.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man charged with manslaughter in 2-month-old's death
- Pre-season tropical development possible this weekend
- Another round of stimulus checks? President Trump says 'we're talking about that'
- Where is my stimulus check? 20 million Americans still waiting for relief
- Today is your last chance to submit your direct deposit info for a stimulus check
- Coronavirus in context: Florida COVID-19 cases explained in 5 charts
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter